Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Tim's Vermeer

My husband and I like watching good documentaries, and I have to share this one with you since it is art related and is AMAZING. It's called Tim's Vermeer, and is about a man's quest to solve the "mystery" surrounding Vermeer's art. Johannes Vermeer is most well-known for his painting The Girl with a Pearl Earring, but that painting is not one of the ones featured in this documentary. 

A man named Tim Jenison is obsessed with Vermeer's art and shares some amazing details about the paintings and the artist. One unknown fact is who Vermeer studied with as an artist apprentice. Another unknown that is most important to this movie is that none of his very detailed paintings show any drawing lines or under paintings. He was a master of light and realistic paintings, and his art looked so realistic, they almost looked like photographs. How was this possible?

I don't want to give too much away, but if you haven't seen this yet, I highly recommend watching. I think anyone could appreciate this movie, not just painters. My jaw hurt after watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment