Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Abstracts Everywhere

It has been a great, great past few weeks of painting abstracts. When I see the abstract work of others, the things I am drawn to are color, movement, softness, calm over chaos, all sorts of harmony and balance, and of course the overall feeling. Typically I like them or I don't. Immediately.

Some of these paintings were wiped two or three times before I achieved what I wanted. Others happened by accident and there was a point when I just knew it was done. When I'm painting abstract I think it should feel a certain way, and if I'm forcing it, that's not what I want. Each of these paintings felt good physically and emotionally, in their own way; this is how I know I can put them out there. I have to like them first!

These were done with oil pigment sticks, which I have been using a lot of lately, done on 3/4" canvases. They are great quality oils and such a unique experience to use. It's big gestures, a huge mess on my hands (as I like to get in there!), and hopefully a harmonious outcome. 


11x14"


















11x14"
18x24"

18x24"
18x24"


No comments:

Post a Comment