Thursday, August 6, 2015

A Workshop with Dreama

I'm beginning to crave interaction with other artists more than I have in the past. Not sure if it is because I see time opening up for me a bit more or maybe I'm more comfortable in what I'm doing as an artist... Whatever the reason, I decided to take a second workshop with artist Dreama Tolle Perry.

I was very focused at the class and interested in doing things the instructors way to try and stretch myself. Please know this can be uncomfortable! The way each artist paints has taken years to develop, but it's also very necessary if hoping to grow.

Dreama has a wonderful way of speaking; I compare her to a motivational speaker. She has so many enlightening, positive things to say about this growth process and the progress we make in our art and our lives. I'd love to go on and on about her sentiments, but don't think I could ever do her justice. She is inspiring with words and of course with her art.

She got right to work with excellent painting demonstrations and the rest of us would go off to work in a similar style using the same inspiration photo, palette and tools. I used some colors I hadn't before, mainly transparent, and of course a painting style completely new to me. I was pleased with the process and felt really supported by both Dreama and the other artists in the class. 

On the final day we each brought in our own inspirational photo and attempted to paint it by applying what was learned on the prior days. I did this to the best of my ability, easily the toughest part! Using the new knowledge, making all of the choices myself, and fighting against ways I would typically paint really had me out of my comfort zone. I wouldn't have it any other way!

I highly recommend a session with Dreama; everything was so well done and the environment was so supportive. Here are the paintings I completed while there in the order they were done, the last done from my own photo of the sunflower field in my town:








No comments:

Post a Comment