Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Not a Goddess

I have been studying the history of some of my favorite artists--first saw Manet's work years ago at an amazing exhibit at The Art Institute of Chicago. My goal is to go back and study many of these artists who were so strongly influenced by each other. It has been a lot of fun so far and extremely motivating!

This painting was inspired by Edouard Manet's painting "The Luncheon on the Grass" (without the foreground). Manet was not dependent on the sales of his paintings, so was able to really push the boundaries of the time. Initially, I just thought she was really beautiful, but learning the stories behind paintings makes them so much better!

The process I used to paint this was different. Normally I sketch in my painting with light transparent paint, but this time I did a dark wash and wiped out the woman's form. It was interesting and felt strange, forcing an uncomfortable looseness.

12x12 on 1/8" museum quality panel
www.halliekohnart.com




No comments:

Post a Comment